Realpolitik
Irish Independent TD (i.e Teachta Dála or member of the Irish Parliament) for Dublin North, Clare Daly says what many of us would love to say to Prime Minister (Taoiseach) Enda Kenny for embracing Barack Obama at the G8 jolly in Belfast last month.
Ms Daly puts in a nutshell how president Obama is viewed across a large constituency of European opinion. She didn't pull her punches when she laid into Mr Kenny during a session of the Irish parliament June 18 this year.
Sadly there isn't.
A point that should not surprise us really since England hasn't even got a parliament of its own, unlike Scotland, nor even a national assembly like Wales and Northern Ireland, but rather English laws are handed down to us by a mishmash of elected members from other countries, plus the dregs that the first-past-the-post electoral system throws up in the place where democracy should be in this country.
Without any further ado I'll let Clare Daly say everything a silent majority is thinking in Ireland, in Britain and across the English speaking world.
Other linguistic groups may be rather less kind in their assessment of the Obama presidency depending where they sit on his mafia hit list I suppose....

Good for her!! She is absolutely right on .
ReplyDeleteBrilliant isn't she Lia....thanks for leaving your comment :-)
ReplyDeleteYes she is AA :-)
DeleteShe has a gift for err..straight speaking I've seen in some of my Celtic-American friends when they get their dand
ReplyDeletefer up. I wish some legislators in nations like Canada or Ireland or Norway, et al, could get together and convince the warring sides to come together and broker a peace in Syria. Nations like Ireland could be truly "honest brokers" in ways that NATO nations or Russia or China will never be able to.
Whoops, I just realized Canada and Norway are NATO member, but their military has much less effect on foreign affairs than Washington or London.
DeleteI wish I could believe that there is nation that hasn't been 'got at' yet.
DeleteSome state somewhere that was not in some sort of unhealthy relationship to the absolute psychopaths that control the whole world but my hope is fading fast Doug.
I wish the same AA.
Deleteyep she has my vote too...............dam shame we don't have someone more like her here. Can't fault a word she said. I was also impressed with the respectful silence her speech was greeted with. If that speech were made in Westminster ( or even Holyrood) she would have been booed and shouted down. What a very civilized way to run a parliament.
ReplyDeleteI thought there was a few ruffled feathers when she denounced the Irish government as 'pimps' but your right Loretta, in general Enda Kenny took his public spanking quite stoically I thought. In that sense he is rather like the Westminster public school mob, the Bullingdon Club who are not averse to a bit of public flagellation themselves. But of course they only administer it in public, they quite often they pay to recieve it in private by all accounts, but I was never one to gossip myself.
ReplyDeleteI think some of the TDs were stunned into silence by Clare Daly's faultless commitment to decency a concept they rarely encounter in their day to day dealings of course. Ireland is more democratic than the UK there can be no doubt about that, but it remains a vassal state of America and outflung margins of Europe, the administration and the Irish 'establishment' are as bent as the proverbial 'nine bob note' and I'm NOT referring to their sexuality here.
Clare Daly is what we need in our popular assemblies everywhere I'd say, someone with the courage of their own convictions rather than mewling servant of corporate power with his/her hand in the till....there are exceptions but they only serve to prove the rule. Corporate government in Ireland as in Britain and lots of other places too no doubt is utterly corrupt and rotten to the core, its time we rewrote governance and mounted a recovery plan for planet earth in which the nation state has no future, not even the symbolic one it presently has now in my opinion.