Tuesday, 10 December 2013

Ed Tudor-Pole LIVE at the Pleasure Dome or Somewhere Like That.




It would be nice to think that the organisers of the Great British Folk Festival 2013 booked Ed Tudor-Pole for this Saturday afternoon gig in recognition of the fact that punk rock is, like earlier forms of folk music, the 'people's music'.  Rather I suspect that it was his acoustic set fitted the bill, plus his face is comparatively well known for being a one-time presenter of the popular cult television show The Crystal Maze (1993-95). 
Ed was the frontman for Tenpole Tudor a proto British punk band formed in 1977. He was also a star of Malcolm McLaren's punk film The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle a so-called mockumentary about the Sex Pistols. He performed the songs "Who Killed Bambi?", "The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle" and a cover version of "Rock Around the Clock" in the film and on the soundtrack. Ed was alas being considered as the replacement for Johnny Rotten when he left the Sex Pistols, but it never happened and the band broke up in 1978.
Ed Tudor-Pole has been in quite a number of films including Sid and Nancy, Straight to Hell and Black Heart with Clint Eastwood.
Here he is captured in a series of hand held images at Skegness on 1 December 2013.

Enjoy!
 

5 comments:

  1. Ed Tudor-Pole is a very funny and versatile performer, AA, with I think with a bit of the Southern American Rockabilly of Carl Perkins and his "Blue Suede Shoes" about him. (A white folk aspect of The Blues, another example of "people's music", at least before the big record companies transformed it into pop acceptability. I will certainly will look for clips of his performances after this viewing. Good stuff as always!


    The one Tenpole Tudor song I know, "Swords of 1000 Men" is quite the musical treat. Thanks for this glimpse of his solo work. You certainly have made excellent use of your video

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments Doug, I agree that there is a Rockabilly vibe going on here, Ed has done Bill Haley covers in the past too, so he is well emersed in the rock 'n' roll traditions (not to mention swindles). I'm glad you enjoyed the tune which is as you say another manifestation of 'people's music' as served up by Butlins, Skegness.

      Delete
  2. Here's the 1981 tune, with all the anachronisms intact: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mANx3L-N0yU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Doug, a bit of a blast from the Thatcherite past there....I have to confess that I never really knew what this song is about and I still don't really.

      Delete
    2. Your in good company there, AA. It sounds rousing; what it may mean has been lost in the mists of the High Middle Ages.

      Delete