An old favourite from the 1969 album The Belle of Avenue A another bit of the soundtrack of my life performed by Tuli Kupferberg and the band. I just love it!
Cheers Scott, as you know I think they were one of the most important bands of the 1960s myself....maybe I'll have a look at Blogster, although I don't post a lot nowadays.
Nice to see you again, thanks for visiting and leaving your comment :-)
I quite enjoy them too AA, although a bit before my time :)
I don't post much these days either but, if I do it's usually over there. If you do decide to create an account, be sure to look me up under the name "Scottster" ...
Very good pick AA. The music of The Fugs in the 60's proves that a band didn't have to go psych-a-delic to do breakthrough music. Charming and daring work from the gents who gave us the irony classic "Kill for Peace" and the anti-pop band anthem "Frenzy".
Thanks Doug. You are right about the 60s, not only did The Fugs not follow fashions they actually created a fashion for English literature in rock music. I suppose their great contribution is to bring Beat Culture to the music scene which had previous been the exclusive province of Jazz. They also took politics and the 'protest song' away from the folk roots previously pioneered by Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger. I have always considered The Bums Song like much of Tuli's oeuvre to be in the category of Yiddish Stomp. Thanks for leaving your comments Doug, as always much appreciated.
I wouldn't have known who the Fugs were if not for you AA. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteYou should consider coming to Blogster
Cheers Scott, as you know I think they were one of the most important bands of the 1960s myself....maybe I'll have a look at Blogster, although I don't post a lot nowadays.
ReplyDeleteNice to see you again, thanks for visiting and leaving your comment :-)
I quite enjoy them too AA, although a bit before my time :)
DeleteI don't post much these days either but, if I do it's usually over there. If you do decide to create an account, be sure to look me up under the name "Scottster" ...
Cheers!
Very good pick AA. The music of The Fugs in the 60's proves that a band didn't have to go psych-a-delic to do breakthrough music. Charming and daring work from the gents who gave us the irony classic "Kill for Peace" and the anti-pop band anthem "Frenzy".
ReplyDeleteThanks Doug. You are right about the 60s, not only did The Fugs not follow fashions they actually created a fashion for English literature in rock music. I suppose their great contribution is to bring Beat Culture to the music scene which had previous been the exclusive province of Jazz. They also took politics and the 'protest song' away from the folk roots previously pioneered by Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger. I have always considered The Bums Song like much of Tuli's oeuvre to be in the category of Yiddish Stomp. Thanks for leaving your comments Doug, as always much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteYes do come to Blogster and bring the Fugs with you :-)
ReplyDeleteOK Ms Storm I'll just get the band together and head on over there :-)
ReplyDelete