Bob Dylan England 1966
The first time I was ever allowed to stay out all night on my own was in the Winter of 1966 when I travelled from the suburbs on the bus to Birmingham City centre.
The purpose of the mission was to obtain a ticket to see Bob Dylan live at the Odeon on New Street.
This for me at the time was the equivalent of a holy pilgrimage which also had elements of a coming of age about it too.
The Odeon was most of the time a cinema back then (now exclusively so), but it was also a venue for live music acts including many of the big names of the 1960s, 70s and 80s.
I don't know exactly what the seating capacity was then, but in 1937 when the Odeon first opened it was 2,439, with 1,517 in the stalls and 922 in the circle and I don't think it had changed much, if at all by 1966.
I was determined to get one of them and so I set out on what was already a great adventure with a thermos flask of coffee (which I dropped shattering the inner glass) and the cost of a ticket in the stalls in my pocket.
When I got there sometime around midnight I was dismayed to find a long line of people already camped out from the entrance along New Street and round the corner into another narrow street, the name of it I forget and which no longer exists. I made my way to the back of the queue and found a place on the steps of a bank now long gone, where I wrapped myself in a blanket to face the long wait ahead.
The ticket office wasn't due to open until 10am, it was going to be a long night.
The ticket office wasn't due to open until 10am, it was going to be a long night.
I started talking to the people camped out next to me, one of whom was a young man called Glenn who lived in Shard End, an area I was familiar with because my elder brother's girlfriend lived there and my family had visited her family on a number of occasions, including the previous Christmas.
I struck up a friendship with Glenn who had all six of Dylan's albums that had been released in the UK up to that point on a Grundig reel to reel tape recorder.
I only had three of them, albums were very expensive for me at the time.... so between that night and the actual gig in May I used to cycle from my house in Erdington to Shard End (a 10 mile round trip) at least once a week to listen to Glenn's tapes in the kitchen of his parents home and to solemnly revere our idol.
I only had three of them, albums were very expensive for me at the time.... so between that night and the actual gig in May I used to cycle from my house in Erdington to Shard End (a 10 mile round trip) at least once a week to listen to Glenn's tapes in the kitchen of his parents home and to solemnly revere our idol.
Anyway, after a long cold night the box office finally opened and the police allowed just 2 people at a time to go and buy tickets. I remember the anxiety that all the best tickets would have gone by the time I got there, or worse still they would sell out (I had no idea how many people were ahead of me or how many tickets were on sale)...it was a fraught couple of hours.
Sometime around midday after a 12 hour wait, I finally got my ticket and went home tired, but happy and relieved that the adventure had paid off and I had my prize...a ticket somewhere around the middle of the stalls, only about 25-30 feet from the stage. I was over the moon.
It seemed an eternity until the 12 May the day of the concert. Glenn and the others were there as well and we sat in the same row dumbstruck to be in the presence of our revered idol. Dylan was hardly ever on television or radio in UK, his remoteness and distance added much to his charisma, his incredible songwriting and performing talent did the rest of course.
Too us it was like being in the presence of no less than God himself ....and I think Bob Dylan probably shared that perception until his (and our) joy was shattered in the second half by an outbreak of noisy dissent in the auditorium.
The first half had been amazing, a solo accoustic set with Dylan alone with his guitar and harmonica on stage performing songs we loved and others we didn't know....I was absolutely spellbound by his captivating presence.
Too us it was like being in the presence of no less than God himself ....and I think Bob Dylan probably shared that perception until his (and our) joy was shattered in the second half by an outbreak of noisy dissent in the auditorium.
The first half had been amazing, a solo accoustic set with Dylan alone with his guitar and harmonica on stage performing songs we loved and others we didn't know....I was absolutely spellbound by his captivating presence.
Because Dylan and his music minders and copyright owners have now removed all video clips of the 1966 UK tour from YouTube, the only video I could find of this tour is at the link below. This is from the first half of one of Dylan's UK shows I'm not sure which one, but exactly what I saw that night at the Birmingham Odeon....the magic here is I think palpable, but maybe that's just me and my memories?
http://videosift.com/video/Bob-Dylan-Just-Like-a-Woman-Live-1966
Interestingly, I believe that Bob Dylan came to hear my voice that evening as well as me hearing his. During the interval I was approached by one of his retinue, a long haired American wearing purple jumbo-cords and a leather waistcoat with a portable tape recorder in his hand. This exotic creature could have stepped right off a UFO so far as I was concerned, he asked me what my name was and what I thought of the show so far. I could only utter my absolute approval in a string of adoring superlatives. I felt like I was in Beatnik heaven, personally touched by this angelic emissary of the Master himself...one of the chosen few.
What could possibly be better than this?....Only losing my virginity the following year came anywhere close to the ecstacy of this event I am describing here...but then came the shocking and terrible fall!
What could possibly be better than this?....Only losing my virginity the following year came anywhere close to the ecstacy of this event I am describing here...but then came the shocking and terrible fall!
Dylan's first half set was universally endorsed by the crowd, not so the second half.
When the curtain raised for the second half Dylan was no longer alone on stage, he was joined by a rock band who were The Band with Jamie Robertson and co.
This event split the audience almost right down the middle. The acoustic folk purists in the crowd booed and jeered, the Master was heckled and insulted by a hostile element who shouted things like 'go home pop singer' and 'Judas' before some of them noisily walked out.
This event split the audience almost right down the middle. The acoustic folk purists in the crowd booed and jeered, the Master was heckled and insulted by a hostile element who shouted things like 'go home pop singer' and 'Judas' before some of them noisily walked out.
I was absolutely mortified and deeply embarrassed by their behaviour.
The group I was with angrily leapt to Dylan's defence and responded to their taunts by demanding they 'get out of the theatre' and 'leave Dylan alone'....the mood had turned ugly.
Second Half - Leopard skin Pillbox Hat (Live Manchester May 1966)
Dylan himself who had hardly spoken a word up until that point, bent down and wiping the floor with his finger in a gesture, just said 'dirt on the stage'... before launching into the next high energy electric number with The Band drowning out the catcalls, whistles, slow hand clapping and insults from the militant folknik element rioting just behind us.
The audience divided into two hostile groups, the atmosphere was more like a football match than a concert, although the majority were on Bob Dylan's side.
We true believers were preparing to do battle with the heretics and insurrectionists who apparently hated any musical instrument that had to be plugged in, and all those who played such instruments of the devil, as they seemingly saw it at least.
We true believers were preparing to do battle with the heretics and insurrectionists who apparently hated any musical instrument that had to be plugged in, and all those who played such instruments of the devil, as they seemingly saw it at least.
The auditorium had turned into a 'bear garden'... the Master had been maligned and denounced and we loyal fans had been transformed from prostrated adherents, into a pretorian guard standing shoulder to shoulder to protect our delicate and vulnerable artiste from the slings and arrows of outrageous slander.
Looking back it all looks ridiculous now, the very folk purists who protested at the use of electric instruments at Dylan's gig, a year or two later...were digging folk rock bands like Fairport Convention and Steeleye Span....bands who routinely mix traditional and electric instruments and have been applauded for it ever since.
Having said that it was a valuable lesson for me in self-reliance, bonding with friends and allies, standing up against opposition and being true to a cause.
I was very young at the time, just 14... but I do view this as some sort of right of passage and although I no longer idolise Bob Dylan (actually I don't even like him as a person very much nowadays) it still taught me something about passion and commitment.
It was also my first lesson in how to survive alone in the city at night which within a few years I was having to do all the time anyway.
It was also my first lesson in how to survive alone in the city at night which within a few years I was having to do all the time anyway.
So to me it was and still is much more than a concert, it was a significant life event and one I am glad to have had.



I love this story. I felt like I was right there with you in the line, in the audience. I imagine that was quite the experience for a 14 year old aardvark :-)
ReplyDeleteYou should write like this more often....sharing the adventures of a young Aardvark. Not that I don't enjoy your other writings, but you know they hurt my brain *smiles*
Thanks for those comments Ms C I'm glad you were kind enough to overlook the typos and identify with the young aardvark straying from his burrow back then. Of course if you HAD been there in the line and in the audience this would have been a very different story indeed...in fact it would have been an amazing one.....If I had to come over to your house to listen to Highway 61 instead of Glenn's house it would have meant a lot more peddling, but I would have willingly made the effort believe me. Thanks again for the comments and the imagined scenario..... *smiles* right back at you :-)
DeleteI love "Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat"! One of his best songs.
ReplyDeleteI can only echo Lia's praise for your memoir here, AA. You really conveyed for me the excitement and drama of the event.
I can only imagine the excitement you and your mates must have felt since so much of this new and culture-turning music was strangely not available to ordinary Britons. (Thanks for nothing, Wilson government, HRH and the BBC. So much for "hands across the water". ;-) )
To stand with people against a tide of angry conservative music lovers took both courage and comradeship. I have been to my share of live concerts but none of had that kind of spirit and intensity. It's also great that someone recorded your impressions of the event. I wish that recording will surface somewhere for you---it would be not only exciting for you, but a actual artifact of your standing in the midle of a cultural earthquake and not standing firm for tolerance, too!
I have to thank you for introducing me to Steeleye Span by the way, since you mentioned them.
Also Kudos for finding that clip of "Just Like a Woman". I remember wanting to see the celebrated Dylan documentary film "Don't Look Back" at a theater in a college I attended thirty odd years ago and darned if the "music-minders" didn't pull it from the distributor at the last minute.
DeleteObviously I meant to say "standing firm for tolerance, too".
DeleteThanks Doug, I think the detractors found songs like 'Leopard-Skin PIllbox Hat' particularly irksome.
DeleteBut what they hated most was when Dylan and the Band played songs like 'Baby Let Me Follow You' Down' or 'To Ramona' which Bob had previously recorded and released as acoustic solo numbers on his early albums, now in an upbeat rock 'n' roll style. That had them really fuming, daft sods.
I must say I have never since been in such a Gladitorial concert environment as this myself, but I suppose the hiatus was what Dylan wanted to whip up, somewhere deep inside him anyway I think...although I also think he was genuinely offended by the reception at that time and his ego took a while to get over it (here we are talking days rather than weeks though I think).
I'm glad you have discovered Steeleye Span Doug, their spin off projects like the Albion Band have also would have passed into the folk hall of fame if there was one. Thanks again for your comments Doug, I'm much obliged to you.
Yes Don't Look Back was about an earlier UK tour Dylan did in 1965 I think.
DeleteI saw the film at a midnight movie way back when, but I think it may still be available in its entirity on YouTube, certainly there are still clips from it still there. You have to sometimes get in quickly though, for example a few months ago I subscribed to a channel of Dylan videos.... until a couple of weeks ago when it was taken down by YouTube, because of multiple copyright infrigements, or so they said.
The songs are for the people yes... but the money belongs to The Man and he is pretty brutal about collecting every penny of it.
Yes, Dylan is rather famous over here in "Freedom's Land" for his strictness on his music. Even churches can't put their music in their hymnals.
DeleteI suspect that Bob, like millionaire Thurston Howell III, the plutocrat par excellence from the cheesy 60's sit-com "Gilligan's Island", is looking for a way to take his money with him when he "goes". ;-)
Of course, to be confounding ,as Dylan can be, his latest album I gather was available for free on the Internet last year. Well, as you say the music belongs to the people.
Your story about biking to such lengths to hear Dylan with your friend in Shard End reminds me of how much I coveted a reel-to-reel recorder when I was a lad. By the time I was old enough to record music off the radio or with friend using an older brother's borrowed record album, cassette tapes had made their entry. In any case, how technology has changed, eh?
Your connection between Freedom's Land and Bob Dylan made me think of this clip Doug.
Deletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-kzM8IdF50
Wow, that is a piece of television history indeed, AA. I couldn't help but laugh to see Bob Dylan walk across the stage past those singers and give that funny look to the camera. I'll have to look at more of that show from '63. I wonder if that was the first appearance of Bob on national tv.
DeleteAlso, I wanted to mention something about the host of that show, John Henry Faulk. A very successful radio announcer/host from Texas, he was a victim of the anti-Communist witch hunts. But he was also one who fought back in court and got some measure of vindication against the witch-hunters. His story was told very well in a well-received CBS television movie in 1975 called "Fear on Trail" with George C Scott. There is also an Alan Lomax connection to his story as I just found out via Wikipedia. Anyway, here's a bit more on Mr. Faulk if you are interested.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_Faulk
Thanks for that link.
Thanks for the additional info on John Henry Faulk. Seeing him in this clip and other clips from the show it is hard to imagine how he could ever have been blacklisted. His presentation here is highly patriotic, by British standards incredibly so I think....in other clips he goes on and on about American 'freedom' and makes negative references to China and the Soviet Union. Without knowing this it is likely that like me, one might assume that he is an over the top promoter of American values upon whom no suspicion could have ever fallen. Either he is overcompensating to please his bosses at Westinghouse TV or the Red Scare witch hunt was even more irrational and pathologically paranoid than I had first realised....maybe a bit of both? Interesting that he had once shared an apartment with Alan Lomax in Manhattan, from what I saw of him and what I know of Lomax I'd have thought they were like 'chalk and cheese'....obviously not.
DeleteIt seems to me that Faulk had good grounds for challenging his designation as a communist since he clearly was never one in the first place. The allegations and blacklisting is a testament to the hysterical and frankly mentally disordered mindset of his accusers. Thanks again for spotlighting the host of this old tv show and adding a further dimension to the meaning of the show in contemporary political and social terms. In the early 1960s Manhattan (especially Greenwich Village and the Lower Eastside) seems like one of the few places in America where there were sufficient numbers of communists, anarchists and fellow travellers to be able use local contacts to find work in the entertainment industry... as well a create works of literature and art not tainted by the insanity of the hysterical establishment.
I found a link to the whole film here Doug, so if you want you can still cheat the 'music minders' at least while the chance lasts anyway.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofr6S-xzhAU
Much obliged AA! Yes, I have seen the clips from the documentary on You Tube here and there but not the whole film. Thanks for this link.
DeleteAA, I have no idea what happened to your comment over on my blog. I did see it and I replied to it. I LOVED IT and I am sick that it disappeared :-( There has been a lot of spam comments coming through also. Hopefully this is a temporary glitch , but I have also noticed some other problems like updates missing and comments not posting at all........ funny I have been here since 2010 and never had a problem. Then the great influx from Multiply and now there are problems....hmmm
ReplyDelete