Sunday, 20 January 2013

Second City Subversive Part 1

Second City Subversive



At the age of 13 I started attending live music events in my home town of Birmingham England. I have only thought about this recently and realised that all these concerts I attended I was on my own, just me in an auditorium full of strangers, but I didn't care about that, I was there for the music and also something else less tangible. I was still at school of course at that time, I funded my interests by a variety of jobs, I delivered newspapers 7 days a week but in between my morning and evening rounds on Sauturdays I worked on a travelling grocery shop, an old converted 1940s bus upon which I served, I carried shopping bags, I weighed carrots and spuds, I sliced ham....I did everything but drive the thing around the north Birmingham suburbs where we plied our greengrocer's trade.

The result of this unceasing industry was that I was able to save up for and obtain records most of my working class peers only got at Christmas or birthdays if they were lucky. About this time I also discovered  The Diskerywhich was then still in its original location in Hurst Street in Birmingham city centre and which was a treasure trove of  imported records and hard to find artists. It was here that I first met the fruits of Alan Lomax's labours and the various strands of my boyhood enquiries began to come together.

I read DH Lawrence books, the world seemed a very tempting cornucopia of pleasures as I handed the lady from number 36 a large cucumber and two Spanish onions, my mind would drift to a better life in Greenwich Village or perhaps Tangier?

Birmingham Town Hall was one of the primary locations for fulfilling my passion for music and culture back in the mid 1960s.

Between 1964 and 1967 the year I precociously left school, I had seen such classic live acts as the Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Bob Dylan, Pete Seeger, Tom Paxton, Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass Boys, Marianne Faithful, Amen Corner and a lot of others too.

I knew what I wanted to be, it was a bohemian bum and no other profession interested me at the time so I designed my own apprenticeship within the art of the possible.
I left school and home at the age of 15 to throw myself into this world I'd been covertously window shopping whilst desperately trying to grow up. At 15 I decided I'd made it to adulthood and went to work on a farm in rural Stafforshire, very different to my life up until to that point in an urban area of Britain's so-called 'Second City'....Birmingham (a.k.a  the city of a thousand trades and the hub of the Empire).

I chose this farming life as a way of funding my independence because it was remote from everything I knew and alienation was an important ingredient of the plan, although actually the farm was no more than 15 miles from my parents house.

I gave it my best shot working 13 hour shifts milking cows and mucking out, riding about on a tractor which I was too young to drive on the roads.

I learned a lot of things there, but it was just too far away from the scene to continue.
On Saturday, my one day off a week, I used hitch a lift back to Birmingham looking for a piece of the action, my farming career was doomed to an early demise there was too much happening in the big city to stay in what felt like the middle of nowhere most of the week.

I did about 6 or 7 months of farming before moving in to a basement flat with friends in Erdington which only source of light was a stained glass window at pavement level, through which the dim outline of passing feet could sometimes be discerned.

Here things took a more promising turn including a kaleidoscopic mix of sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll...well what else? I got a job in a nursery....the sort that grows plants rather than babies... which funded all manner of excesses that would evntually lead to my homelessness, destitution and all sorts of come-uppances as are fitting to a morality tale such as this. Before saying anything more about Aardvark the wilderness years I want end this part on a note that says through all the pathos and the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune it was also a lot of fun

At this point I want to post an early favourite song of mine by a singer I still greatly admire, folk singer and influential folk revivalist Shirley Collins.

I would have put her version of the Banks of the Bann on here if I could, but I couldn't find it on YouTube so I will put another favourite The Cruel Mother instead. This song has an atmosphere of the time I am writing about when I was in a more reflective mood during my early teens, living with an odd bunch of people and part of the nightlife scene that was Birmingham in those days.....but more of that anon. To me this song captures the smoke filled folk clubs where my underage drinking began without any challenge, at last...I was in!




At other more adrenalin fuelled times I was getting off on this sort of thing too...incredibly to me now but this film was made around the same time I saw Chuck Berry in his pink suit at Birmingham Town Hall....I was entranced, knocked out and inspired here at the roots of the swinging 60s watching a performer who the Beatles and the Stones were fans of themselves! 

At the very source of Beatlemania and all the rest of it, that's where I wanted to be. Over the next few years I'd see other great bluesmen like Muddy Waters at Digbeth Civic Hall and Taj Mahal at Mothers.




End of Part One




8 comments:

  1. Always nice to experience this time through your stories AA. You're so fortunate to have seen some of these artists in their prime and even before.

    My parents met at a drive in diner in Baltimore Maryland during the late 50s after a Chuck Berry show.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Scott I suppose I was born at the right time if not necessarily in the right place, at the time I wanted to live on the Left Bank in Paris, Carnaby Street in London, or Bleeker Street in New York City with the Fugs and Dave Van Ronk.

      Interesting that your parents met after a Chuck Berry gig, he was electrifying. I am sure in the late 50s only Bo Diddley, Elvis and Buddy Holly were in the same category of supreme coolness, at least in my world anyway. I expect your parents felt much the same way.

      Delete
  2. You certainly had some dedicated and (I imagine) exhausting work experiences in your early teens, AA. Your self-sufficiency is quite admirable.

    I had a early morning paper route myself at age twelve for a time and I too used that extra money to buy rock, r&b and jazz albums and .45 records. But the comparisons I'm afraid have to end there. It seems like the mid-1960s would be a time a spirited soul would want to be emancipated as soon as possible. I had the feeling growing up that I had missed the best time to be alive by about ten years. Of course my timing saved me a possible free trip to South Vietnam by the Army so I never complained unduly. ;-)


    One of those 7-inch records was a reissue of Chuck Barry's "Memphis", the first great rock balled I ever owned! The flip side was "Mabelline". I bought it because I saw a great documentary he and Bo Diddley were in (with Little Richard and others) called "Let the Good Times Roll".

    I've always considered the time between the ages of twelve and fifteen to have been the most formative years of my life. Everything about the culture of older teens and adults seem to suddenly to be at least attainable for me.


    You'll be pleased to know (I hope) that I recently downloaded "The Fugs" first album based on my exposure to them on your previous blogs. "Frenzy" and "Kill for Peace" are my favorite songs and I will spread the word (and the music) on these great satirists.

    I liked this blog so muc hand I;m looking forward to your reflections in part two. Thanks for sharing your adventurous and hard-won experiences from the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think all things considered you were fortunate not to be taking that all expenses paid trip to Indo-China Doug.
    More than a slight compensation for missing the frenzy of full-blown Beatlemania in my view.

    As it happens, I also owned the single of 'Memphis Tennessee' at a very tender age. I can't remember what was on the B-side of the British single..it may have been 'Mabelline', I certainly know that song from back then anyway.
    I have heard of the documentary "Let the Good Times Roll", I may have seen extracts of it on television or more recently on YouTube.

    I have always been a big fan of Bo Diddley myself too Doug.

    I'm glad you liked the Fugs First Album... it was an early one I got from the Diskery.

    I particualarly like Ed Sander's rendition of William Blake's "Ah, Sunflower, Weary of Time" from that album, but the tracks you mention are brilliant of course too.

    The whole album released in 1965 was ground-breaking in my opinion.

    I think the Fugs are the greatest band (almost)nobody ever heard of.... who really stood for the essence of the 1960s, they were highly influential in their own very understated way and very much ahead of their time.

    Thanks for you kind comments here Doug, I will post some more songs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think The Fugs and other bands would have been helped by an Internet medium that sadly was not around, although word-of-mouth has it's points. One of the tracs from another of their albums I believe has the title "The Fugs Just Signed the Worst Recording Contract Since Leadbelly".
    The title alone shows a touch of comic genius. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My understanding is that "The Fugs Just Signed the Worst Recording Contract Since Leadbelly" was originally on Village Fugs (which was re-released as The Fugs First Album) although it is not on the version available in the UK. Many of the Fugs tracks were released on different albums and in different versions of the same song which makes it hard to keep up with their discography. If we add to that more recent digital versions of the albums with 'bonus tracks' and different versions of songs released in the US to their UK counterparts... we have a rather complicated picture all round. I have on vinyl two solo albums by Tuli Kupferberg which further complicate matters. Ed Sanders has also done some solo work and since Tuli died in 2010 the Fugs have performed new versions of some of their old songs. The Fugs are a field of study in themselves that unite Alen Ginsberg with Algernon Charles Swinburne in a course on English literature and popular dissent that has its roots in American anarchism and organic intellectualism of the Beat Generation. Glad you are enjoying their vast and varied oeuvre Doug, in my view they are one of the most important bands of the 1960s despite never having had a 'hit' record.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's great to know that surviving members of The Fugs are still around and have traveled well into influencing so many artists. It also seems no matter where you turn in the American Sixties you will run into Allen Ginsberg, AA. I was reading just the other day about his relationship with San Francisco's own City Lights Bookstore, Lawrence Ferengetti (the owner and a free speech icon) and another major alt-rock group, "The Grateful Dead", another group wildly popular who never had a hit record during their most active years.

    I also really like the term "organic intellectualism"--it covers a more direct and independent route into the cultural connections between one era and another. No need for a permission slip from "The Prof" on what to write or talk about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term 'organic intellectual' is borrowed from Antonio Gramsci.

      A quick definition exists IntellectualWiki as:-

      "The organic intellectual is an individual who promotes the best interest of “the people,” a term usually designated for the lower classes, and does not perpetuate the hegemony of the dominating class. Gramsci’s organic intellectual is one who minimizes speaking to the masses and engages him or herself “in practical life, as constructors, organizers, ‘permanent persuaders’ and not just a simple orators” .

      http://intellectualwiki.wikispaces.com/Organic+Intellectual

      Delete