Saturday, 29 December 2012

Voices From the Anglosphere - End of Year Theatre

Live.At.The.Apollo  Steve Hughes is an Australian comedian who appeared on 'Live at the Apollo' 14/07/2012. 

Live at the Appollo is a premium stand-up BBC television comedy show. What follows is Steve Hughes performance that I appreciated when I first saw it earlier in the year and have chosen to round off 2012 at the Incredible Magic Theatre.

I think it is great to have a new perspective on the things we so often take for granted and details we don't notice, not to mention all those guilty little secrets we harbour and don't acknowledge except under duress. There is no duress like enjoying yourself at this time of year, that is is the ultimate expectation..... so you better damn-well do it, or else!



I hope you enjoy this performance as much as I did.... Happy End of 2012 soonish!

Obviously I have no rights whatsoever on this performance that belongs entirely to the BBC... so what?

5 comments:

  1. Well guess what AA? I thoroughly enjoyed this performance. He is very funny AND easy on the eyes :-))

    Now what are you talking about "guilty little secrets"?
    I have none of those hahaha, and if I do, I will never tell or you already know them :-P

    Happy New Year my sweet one.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked that Ms C and thank you for reaffirming those guilty secrets for the record....Have a Fabulous New Year...I hope you get to walk barefoot on lightly frosted grass again very soon, sounds great if you know it will warm up again before too long

    AA :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve Hughes is a very funny and spot-on humorist in my book, AA. Thanks for sharing him. I like to share that video with some of other culture/music-loving friends who aren't on this site.

    Wow, think of it! Australia is a nation that revolves around sport and racism. There are at least two nations like that I can recall...one for absolutely bloody certain and it's right below Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyes Steve Hughes Doug....actually this is the second time I have responded to your comment, the first time I did something wrong and lost my reply....drat!

    I hope whoever you share it with finds the clip funny too.

    Actually I think when you scratch the surface you can say that a lot of nations are defined by sport and racism, they are universal constants it seems.

    Racism like extreme patriotism or jingoism is founded upon the most peculiar belief that the very soil I sprang from is 'special' and the reason it is so 'special' is that I sprang from it, which by another logical convulsion makes me very 'special' too, because I embody the 'special' soil from whence I sprang'. And so on ad infinitum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think computer glitches will always be with us, AA. My screen always goes all white for a few seconds when I input a comment on Blogger so it is always cross-your-fingers time.

      Yes, the circular logic of jingoism has had a long and hearty shelf life, has it not? And popular sporting events are supposed to be a safety value from much of the "animal spirits" of the public, it's true, but it also mirrors conflicts within a society.

      Sometimes sports fans dissolve into lawless gangs, and are a catalyst for political terror, as in the "Nika Riots" that gripped Constantinople in Emperor Justinian's time (circa 530 AD) or the more recent Soccer Wars in Central America between Honduras and El Salvador in 1969. It's not uncommon for nihilistic violence to break out outside hockey or baseball and basketball championship games in cities like Detroit--after the 1984 World Series, which Detroit won yet parts of the city burned anyway, or most recently in Vancouver. Of course sports are not the direct cause of these events, but there does seem to be a trigger mechanism between sports and violence in the human psyche if the conditions of a society are ripe for rioting.

      Delete