The Leningrad Cowboys is a Finnish rock and roll band famous for its humorous songs and concerts featuring the Soviet Red Army Choir. The Red Army Choir (Choir Aleksandrov) is a performing ensemble that served as the official army choir of the former Soviet Union's Red Army. The choir consists of a male choir, an orchestra, and a dance ensemble. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Red Army Choir continued performing, entertaining audiences both inside and outside Russia. Here they perform together the Lynyrd Skynyrd classic Sweet Home Alabama.
Monday, 24 September 2012
More Old YouTube Favourites
Sweet Home Alabama
The Leningrad Cowboys is a Finnish rock and roll band famous for its humorous songs and concerts featuring the Soviet Red Army Choir. The Red Army Choir (Choir Aleksandrov) is a performing ensemble that served as the official army choir of the former Soviet Union's Red Army. The choir consists of a male choir, an orchestra, and a dance ensemble. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Red Army Choir continued performing, entertaining audiences both inside and outside Russia. Here they perform together the Lynyrd Skynyrd classic Sweet Home Alabama.
The Leningrad Cowboys is a Finnish rock and roll band famous for its humorous songs and concerts featuring the Soviet Red Army Choir. The Red Army Choir (Choir Aleksandrov) is a performing ensemble that served as the official army choir of the former Soviet Union's Red Army. The choir consists of a male choir, an orchestra, and a dance ensemble. After the collapse of the Soviet Union, the Red Army Choir continued performing, entertaining audiences both inside and outside Russia. Here they perform together the Lynyrd Skynyrd classic Sweet Home Alabama.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Um.........the hair :-)) Thanks for sharing one of your favorites :-)
ReplyDeleteThe hair is a bit funny, but the uniforms somehow make up for it....and vice versa to me Ms C :-)
DeleteLynard Skynyrd is the nadir of popular 70's music to me.
ReplyDeleteI must admit...I really dislike this song when, this anthem of Redneck America and its smug Deep South self-congratulation. I prefer Neil Young's "Southern Man", so enough said there.
But if I had to listen to this song, this is the band I'd want to hear play it.
Hmmm I didn't realise that there were political connotations to this song which to me is just a rock classic like say Stairway To Heaven or anything by Meatloaf. I never thought of it as a Confederate anthem, so thanks for that perspective Doug.
DeleteI sincerely hope nobody ever makes you listen to that song Doug, but don't worry I am informed that Metalica have an exclusive contract with Guantanamo Bay for any 'forced to listen to' music or torture concerts as I prefer to call them.
I really like the song I've linked to performed live in Helsinki in 1990. Perhaps we are seeing some making ammends for 1939-40 Winter War here with both the Leningrad Cowboys and the Red Army in good voice....bearing in mind this was during the last months of the USSR, it must have been a great party I wish I had been there anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rv1CTZSIU0&feature=related
Well, AA, taken outside the realm political animosity, "Sweet Home" does serve apparently to help patch up the running Russo-Finnish feud, which is a good thing.
DeleteMetalica's music could indeed drive strong men to say anything to relieve their plight. I recommend it should be piped into all nursing homes set up for retired CIA black ops personnel and retired dentists.;-)
LOL ....that would be too cruel and unusual for a Libertine such as myself to condone Doug.
DeleteMetalica should only be applied under strict medical supervision and should never be tried at home without paramedic backup in situ.